My Nail Care Routine

 Here is my post about how I care for my nails! 

I am far from being an expert and the point of this post isn't to tell you what you should be doing, but to share with you what works for me, but I am always looking for suggestions and tips so if you have any please share them!
My Routine!

This is what my nails look like after I remove my nail polish. After I remove it I leave them unpainted for one day as I've found this helps to keep them stronger. So if I paint them on a Monday, I'll remove it on the Saturday and then paint them again the next Monday. However I've read many blog posts where they have beautifully strong nails and have constant nail polish wear, it's just done to what works for you and your nail type!



Once I've removed my nail polish I wash the remover off and moisturise my nails as they are so dehydrated from the remover and the polish. After this I push the cuticles back and cut the nails using scissors and then file them at the corners to create the shape I like and is comfortable for me. The photo above shows my nails once I have done this. I only cut/file my nails once a week unless they split or break.

Moisturise!
Personally I think moisturising is the most important part of nail care. It doesn't what you use, but moisturising regularly is so important to keeping your nails happy and healthy! I find it best to get into a routine of moisturising, for example after having a shower or bath as the water can weaken nails and dry them out. I don't use cuticle oil but I do use olive oil as this is already in my house and it works for me! I've noticed that my nails stay stronger and longer after taking more time to moisturise them. A couple of years ago they were so short! At night I cover my nails in Vaseline, this is great at keeping them hydrated overnight or when you're not doing anything with your hands, for example watching a movie!


These are the products I use on my hands and nails!

General nail care tips
  • Wear rubber gloves when washing up or other cleaning activities. The water and products are no friends of nails!
  • Drink lots of water.
  • Wear gloves if it's cold outside to stop your skin from drying out.
  • Don't use your nails as tools! The last time I broke a nail it was because I used my nails to open my wardrobe door instead of the handle, it was so silly! 
  • Be consistent! Nails love routine so find something that works for you and stick to it.
  • Eat a healthy, balanced diet. (I think I need to follow my own advice here!) A lot of people also take vitamin or supplements but I don't although I'm ruling this out for the future.
  • Don't worry! If your nails aren't growing or keep breaking, just keep trying new things until you find what works for you! I know this is easier said than done but be kind to yourself and have patience.

My nails aren't perfect, they still break or chip if they're under pressure, but that's what nails should do! Part of being strong is the natural flexibility rather than being absolutely rigid.

If you have any questions or tips you'd like to share please comment!
I hope you've found this helpful!

Thanks for reading! :)

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts